· Tell_Us
· Top 10
· Top Stories
· Topics
· Weather_Station
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online
There are currently, 32 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

Monthly Quote
“If a man has an apartment stacked to the ceiling with newspapers we call him crazy. If a woman has a trailer house full of cats we call her nuts. But when people pathologically hoard so much cash that they impoverish the entire nation, we put them on the cover of Fortune magazine and pretend that they are role models.”
-– B. Lester

Link to us!
AlienLove Logos

Add Your Link To Us!

Anti-War Webs
Anti-War Web Ring
[<<<] [ list ] [???] [ join ] [>>>]

AlienLove.com :: View topic - Topic: Condemning Prostitution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Topic: Condemning Prostitution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienLove.com Forum Index -> AlienLove Debates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anisah_of_So_Dakota
Junior Contributor
Junior Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aspect of Prostitution not previously mentioned, from what I can tell is the reasons many women (MOST) choose it.

More than not, it is due to the LACK of other avenues to support themselves. It is also caused by the fact that often prostitution pays better than "honest" professions when you are a woman. Why should this be?

The lack of viable income for many women around the world has often led to women resorting to prostitution. While it may be argued that it should be legalized.

I argue that women need sustainable pay in the other professions that they may have options for. Women need more opportunities to education & training in other fields. The fact is, too often the women taking up prostitution in many countries are either sold by relatives into prostitution, abducted & placed into prostitution (ie after the Kosovo war & Afghan/US war) or are fleeing sexual abuse & thus choose the latter of two evils.

All this comes back to abusive economic oppression of women.

So rather than legalize the means to oppress women, why not improve their lot overall so the "profession" is the least appealing options?

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make for our children." -- Sitting Bull --
Blue1moon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points, Anisah!

What you say is absolutely true!

Anisah_of_So_Dakota wrote:
So rather than legalize the means to oppress women, why not improve their lot overall so the "profession" is the least appealing options?

Star Star Star Star Star

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

While I do not blame these women who are victims of society, and do not think jail is a solution, I do feel that this profession is soo degrading and damaging to the soul.
Anisah_of_So_Dakota
Junior Contributor
Junior Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While I do not blame these women who are victims of society, and do not think jail is a solution, I do feel that this profession is soo degrading and damaging to the soul.

Yes I agree. I do not believe women take to the profession out of joy & pride. I think they see it also as degrading. Yet those who do see it as the less of two evils.

The second could be .... starvation
.... physical abuse (by boyfriend/pimp, father, etc)
.... drug addiction's hunger

Women should not be imprisoned for this. It is no different from a man having a mistress & placing her in a nice flat & keeping her clothed, etc. The difference is this woman is not "kept" by a single man. That seems to be the "crime".

I also do not see it really as any different than modern western society's serial marriages, in which a woman may have had multiple boyfriends prior to her marriage, then divorce...then remarried, then divorced, then remarried, etc etc. Once again she has multiple partners.

Yet our society sees that in a "KEPT" status primarily thus acceptable.

I know that even today prenuptual contacts where by a young woman states a dowry or mahr to be paid up front is seen as her "selling" herself. Yet no one in the west sees this as happening when a girl gets merely a wedding band and wedding gifts.

Yet again, others are making the decisions in the later as to the VALUE of her status as bride... but the former she has more control of that value. In my own faith, I saw this happen in a US court, where in the lawyer accused our family of "selling" our daughter to her estranged husband several years earlier -- (during a divorce/custody hearing). Yet ignored the fact that the state accepts prenup contracts as legal & binding. The result was we were painted as horrible people for giving our daughter a chance to have a prenup that listeded what was to be paid to her during and in case of divorce. THe judge completely ignored the notarized contract solely because HE disliked what he percieved as inappropriate actions on our family's part by having a prenuptual contact.

Far too much sexism is still in the legal codes of this country in my view & it hurts both men & women --- and chidlren in the long run.

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make for our children." -- Sitting Bull --
Blue1moon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some very strange laws in this country
And things seem to be getting ever worse.
I do not believe in victimless "crimes"
There are way too many people in jail in this country for non-violent/no-harm acts - our incarceration rate is a disgrace.
Women are not treated fairly
but neither are people of color, or just poor or of modest to moderate incomes.
The laws are totally different for those in the upper rungs of society.
Anisah_of_So_Dakota
Junior Contributor
Junior Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Women are not treated fairly
but neither are people of color, or just poor or of modest to moderate incomes.
The laws are totally different for those in the upper rungs of society.

Yeh, I agree there is a major problem. I think Thomas Jefferson & that had it right when they wanted to make it illegal for lawyers to exist in this country! ONLY the wealthy truly get legal services. The others simply are puppets on display to make the illusion of justice play its role on the theatrical stage they call a court room.

We need to return to the Constitution rights of people. We also need to remove the loop holes used by the upper rungs to not pay their fair share.

We also need to strip the prison systems of the income earning capabilities they are creating that are nothing more than modern day chain gangs. I know in our state the state CONTRACTS out inmates to work on projects, saying it helps them "build job skills"! Yeh at 25 cents and hour to the inmate, while the state gets far more for their own pockets! Our illustrious former rapist-governor/congressman/murderer, Janklo had him & his buddies making a cool sum building prisons as "outside contractors" who "won" the state's contact while he was governor.

Alhumdulillah, his downfall came (for that situation) at the hands of a 16 year old girl's death, due to heat exhaustion at a juvenile prison in the state less than one WEEk after she had been placed there for running away from an abusive home! Finally the feds came in & investigated & found all sorts of illegal treatment taking place & the facility was closed down. As a result other aspects of the prison system started getting a look over by outsiders and the contact issue became public. So he had to "step down" (or at least that is what they claimed) from being a partner in the firm.

The murder I mentioned he did as a congressman, by speeding thru a stop sign & killing a motorcyclist, who happened to be from a neighboring state & a father/farmer & fireman. Yet he only got 70 days in a county jail!Thumbs Up May God give him the rewards he deserves on judgement day!

Yeh, I have ISSUES (can you tell) with that punnie creature they call Janklow!

They say that S.D. prison's male population is 80% statitory rape "criminals". Not sexual molestors... STATITORY RAPE... ie having willing sex with a girl over 16! I do not believe this should be happening! If we punish the male, we should punish the female too! She is old enough to know it is Illegal for her to have sex! I do not believe in this unjustice imbalance of law!

Blue1moon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of good points, Anisah
It is sickening the way our 'justice' system works.

The 'loopholes' are many. And the problem is that those who make our laws, are among those who use loopholes the most - so are very unlikely to vote away anything that benefits themselves and their friends.

A willing girl, 16+, is a victimless crime in my opinion - no jailtime should be considered.

Janklo sounds like a real prize face - but seems typical of the many crooks that run for office and can be bought by the highest bidder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienLove.com Forum Index -> AlienLove Debates All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: